2018 Contest Winners
Chosen by Jane Hirshfield
The MARSH HAWK PRESS POETRY PRIZE
($1,000.00 Cash Prize and Publication of the Book)
The ROBERT CREELEY MEMORIAL AWARD
($250.00 Cash Prize)
The ROCHELLE RATNER MEMORIAL AWARD
($250.00 Cash Prize)
Andrea Carter Brown
Amanda Auerbach, Arthur Brown, Aruni Kashyap, Caryn Davidson, Charles Kell, Christopher Brunt, Elizabeth Aoki, George Kalamaras, Jacob Oet, Jacqueline Jules, James Grinwis, Julia Kolchinsky Dasbach, Karen Donovan, Kathleen McCann, Ken Haas, Lila Dlaboha, Lynne Thompson, Mel Elberger, Michelle Lewis, Miho Nonaka, Nancy Keating, Nicole Melanson, Rachael Peckham, Reed Wilson, Shaun Griffin, Steven Haven
Prize Competition Opens December 1, 2018
For online submissions (open until 11:59 PM EST on April 30, 2019) click here.
2019 CONTEST JUDGE: To Be Announced
Marsh Hawk Press is accepting submissions of poetry manuscripts to the 16th annual Marsh Hawk Press Poetry Prizes beginning December 1, 2018. Deadline is April 30, 2019. The poetry prizes welcomes submissions from emerging as well as established poets.
The winner of the Marsh Hawk Press Poetry Prize receives $1000.00, book publication, and promotion, including a book launch in New York City. Winners of the Robert Creeley and Rochelle Ratner prizes, selected from contest finalists, receive $250.00 each.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submission:
- Screening for the Marsh Hawk Press awards is blind. Because of this, no contact information is allowed within your manuscript, including within the filename, if electronically submitted. Electronic submissions will have contact information collected via Submittable, which is hidden from our screeners. Hardcopy submissions must include a separate title page, which lists the title of your manuscript and contact information (name, address, e-mail address, and phone number).
- Do not include any preambles, or bios within your submitted manuscript.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- Manuscripts must be typed in a no less than 12 point font, paginated, and 48 – 80 pages in length (single spaced). We accept double sided manuscripts.
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection, as a whole, must be unpublished.
- Translations and self-published books are not eligible.
- MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send us your only copy.
- If electronic: send your manuscript via Submittable only with a cover page that lists the title of your manuscript. No personal/contact information is allowed to be included within your manuscript file.
- If hardcopy: send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page (one title page that includes just the title of your manuscript, the second which includes the title and your contact information [your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and an optional biographical note)]). Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
- For notification of winners, include a business-sized SASE.
- If you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, include a stamped addressed postcard. Winners will be announced in the summer of 2018.
- Entry fee for the Marsh Hawk Press Poetry Prize is $25.00 for online and hardcopy submissions. Checks or money orders for hardcopy submissions should be made payable to Marsh Hawk Press, Inc.
- Manuscripts may be submitted online or by regular mail. Mail hard copy entries to: Marsh Hawk Press, Inc., P.O. Box 206, East Rockaway, N.Y. 11572.
For online submissions (open until 11:59 PM EST on April 30, 2018) click here.
About Marsh Hawk Press’ Screening Process
Manuscripts submitted to the Marsh Hawk Press prize contests are screened anonymously. During the screening process, every manuscript is read by a minimum of two Marsh Hawk Press editors. Submissions are winnowed to a group of finalists from which the Contest Judge chooses a winner.
CLMP Contest Code of Ethics.