MARSH HAWK PRESS, INC. a 501(c)3 non-profit, was founded in 2001 by Thomas Fink, Burt Kimmelman, Jane Augustine, Sandy McIntosh, and Stephen Paul Miller, as a juried collective and literary resource to produce books which often highlight the affinity of poetry, memoir and the visual arts. We have been described by the Huffington Post as a small press with “a willingness to explore the outermost bounds of American literary culture with each new venture, despite few resources and few expectations of turning substantial profits.”
- BOOKS: The press seeks inclusion and diversity, publishing superb poetry by both established and debut poets in a wide range of genres. It produces titles with particular care for visual style, often including reproductions of artwork alongside poems. The press has approximately 100 titles in print.
- OTHER ACTIVITIES: The press has sponsored readings, panels (including at AWP) and exhibits, and an online magazine.
- ARTISTIC ADVISORY BOARD: The press is advised by an artistic board of writers including Toi Derricotte, Denise Duhamel, Marilyn Hacker, Maria Mazziotti Gillan, Alicia Ostriker, Marie Ponsot, David Shapiro, Anne Waldman and John Yau.
- FUNDING: The press has earned funding from the New York State Council on the Arts, the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses, and by private individuals and foundations, such as the Daniel and Joanna S. Rose Fund.
- AWARDS: Notable recent titles have twice won the PEN Oakland-Josephine Miles Award for Excellence in Literature; the Thom Gunn Award for Gay Male Poetry; the Calatagan Award from the Philippine American Writers and Arts, Inc.; the Best American Poetry Series; John Simon Guggenheim Fellowships and NEA fellowships; and poems have been chosen for publication and performance publication in other media, such as NPR’s A Writer’s Almanac.
- NOTABLE AUTHORS: include Phillip Lopate, Mary Mackey, Sharon Dolin, Harriet Zinnes, Eileen R. Tabios, Stephen Paul Miller, Chard deNiord, Burt Kimmelman, Sandy McIntosh, Geoffrey O’Brien, Paul Pines, and Steve Fellner.
- PRESS PRIZES: Given annually: The Marsh Hawk Press Prize (book publication and cash award); The Rochelle Ratner Memorial Prize (cash award), and The Robert Creeley Memorial Prize (cash award). Judging is done independently each year by a major poet. Past judges include: Jane Hirshfield, Gerald Stern, Denise Duhamel, David Shapiro. Thylias Moss, Forrest Gander, Anne Waldman, Alicia Ostriker, Cornelius Eady, Charles Bernstein, Brenda Hillman, Stephanie Strickland, Mark Doty, and, Meena Alexander.